Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019
Innovative smart football shirts have been introduced at FC Barcelona that can take accurate ECG and respiratory rate measurements. These washable shirts can transmit the results wirelessly via Bluetooth so that the team’s medics and trainers can monitor their players on the pitch. They can also identify an unusual heart rhythm that could cause sudden cardiac arrest.
Launched by wearable technology firm DuPont Advanced Materials, the Intexar technology has been incorporated into the shirt made in partnership with Twinery, the innovation arm of South Asian apparel manufacturer MAS, and Real Track Systems, a leader in outdoor and indoor performance monitoring and analysis.
The garment consists of:
- Cover Film – a protective layer shields technology from exposure
- Encapsulant – a thin, stretchable, and water-resistant layer
- Sensor – a thin layer of carbon or silver senses electrical signal
- Conductor – a layer of silver transmits electrical currents throughout
- Base Film – a stretchy Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) bonds seamlessly with any chosen fabric